As a kid, Sean was taught that if you work hard, you will be secure, you will have a place in the economy, and you can live the American dream. During his senior year in high school, that abruptly came to an end when Bethlehem Steel closed down. Thousands of Western New Yorkers lost their jobs, and family, friends, and neighbors were displaced in the economy.
For generations, Western New York struggled to get back on its feet. Sean is proud of the work he has done as a member of the State Legislature that has helped transform the Western New York economy over the last decade. He learned the lessons of Bethlehem Steel and used those lessons to guide his work to help create progress for Western New York.
As our state and our nation have faced rising inflation, Sean Ryan has worked to lower costs to help New Yorkers keep more money in their pockets.
- Saved New York families over $770 million in the next two years with accelerated middle-class tax cuts
- Reduced property taxes by $2.2 billion with the Homeowner Tax Rebate Credit
- Voted to suspend the state gas tax, saving New York drivers over $585 million at the pump
- Delivered $7 billion to expand and help families pay for childcare over the next four years
- Included $150 million in the budget to expand TAP assistance to an additional 75,000 students
- Passed legislation to stop price gouging of medicine and cap the cost of insulin
Representing us in Albany, Sean Ryan has championed smart economic development and secured the resources Western New York needs to compete and create good-paying jobs.
- Passed a law to expand availability of low-cost hydropower for small businesses
- Secured millions for clean water infrastructure upgrades in Western New York
- Stood shoulder-to-shoulder with union labor as they fought for fair wages at the NFTA, Mercy Hospital, local nursing homes, and as they organized a historic unionization effort at Starbucks
- Extended the New York Youth Jobs Program tax credit and the Empire State Apprenticeship tax credit to ensure more young people can start careers with good-paying jobs
- Helped small businesses by providing them with $1 billion in new grants and tax credits
- Ensured millions of dollars were included in the state budget for Upstate Legal Services to help families in need avoid foreclosure
In the State Senate, Sean will continue to work every day to:
- Build an economy that works for all families
- Lower costs to help all New Yorkers make ends meet
- Create good-paying middle-class jobs and support union labor
- Support small businesses and rebuilding our manufacturing base
- Close tax loopholes to hold big corporations accountable